Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 6, 2013 9:28 AM EET
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In the past I could hardly imagine that it is possible to listen to audiobooks and comprehence them at the same level as paper books.

But recently I’ve discovered really genius reader – Denis Verovoy. His performance of audiobooks is truly delightful! I’ve listened to different audiobooks read by Verovoy: Max Frei’s adventures (series of books written by Svetlana Martynchik under pen name Max Frei), “The Sovereign's Servant” (“Sluga Gosudarev”) written by Oleg Ryaskov, “Humans as Gods” (“Lyudi kak bogi”) written by Sergey Snegov.

When you listen to audiobooks read by Denis Verovoy it feels like you watch a film or read by yourself. As opposed to many other audiobook readers who read books with one voice, often even without any intonation, Verovoy gives special voice to each character, and you will confuse them just if you make a push for it :). In addition background music is very-well fitted, and all these elements together make listening to these audiobooks completely comprehensive, easy and enjoyable.

OTOH, after listening to audiobooks read by Verovoy it’s quite difficult to listen to another audiobooks, because they seem too impersonal and boring.

I recommend audiobooks read by Verovoy to those who never listed to audiobooks but want to try it. Also I’m sure that those who have experience in listening to audiobooks will enjoy these ones too.

This post was edited by Julia Naturkach at November 6, 2013 9:37 AM EET
    • November 7, 2013 9:05 AM EET
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Although many people are sure that it's better to read books instead of listening to them, we can still find a lot of situations in our everyday life when we have no other choice but listen to an audiobook instead of reading it. Everyday commute to work and back home, either in public or personal transport sometimes forces us to listen to an audiobook. Surely you'd be listening to an audiobook while driving a car from city's suburbs, otherwise you are very likely to get into a car accident :) just because of the traffic jams and the danger of falling asleep staying in one ;)

For those who truly love Harry Potter world it would be really good to listen to audiobooks read by a prominent English actor, writer and playwright Stephen Fry. You will not only enjoy the familiar world of the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry but also develop your listening comprehension and phonetics skills.

This leads us to another usage of audiobooks - learning foreign languages. When you are at least at the Intermediate level, it's really useful to listen to some adapted audiobooks that you have already read in your native language. You'll be already familiar with the plot so you'll pay special attention not only to the story itself but also to the language used to describe this story.

• November 16, 2013 5:16 PM EET
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I use audiobooks extensively while driving, and video learning - when doing some things, which take some time but do not require that much attention. E.g. when tidying up my home workspace once a week.

• November 27, 2013 12:05 PM EET
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Maria Podvolotska said:

For those who truly love Harry Potter world it would be really good to listen to audiobooks read by a prominent English actor, writer and playwright Stephen Fry. 

I adore Stephen Fry. He made me love audiobooks. Just the way he makes all the characters sound different (and in the Harry Potter saga there are lots of them) fills you with admiration. He was the one I started with and that was the right choice to make.

For me audiobooks used to be one of the methods to develop listening comprehension. It's much more easier than actual speaking as you are not afraid of missing anything (and thus disrupting a conversation) because any time you can just backwind. This helps you relax and enjoy the story. Secondly, books are usually read with proper pronunciation and intonation, so one doesn’t have to straggle with any weird accents. The readers provide us with standard English speech pattern which is recognized everywhere, so this can be the best variant to adopt.

What is left to do is just to choose the book you’ll like.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

(200 symbols max)

(256 symbols max)