(0 rates)
    • November 1, 2013 9:35 PM EET
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi there!

As you know, some translators prefer to work in silence while others try to put the reality aside through music. Which approach do you support? If the second one, then what kind of music can help you to concentrate on your translation: some relaxation music or just your favourite songs? How crucial for you is such a background?

• November 3, 2013 7:48 PM EET
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Music background during translation

While working as in-agency translator, obviously you cannot work in silence: there are other people around you, whose computers produce noise, who type, who use fans or other devices to create normal working conditions. Thus to concentrate I really need some music to work more efficient.

What kind of music can help me? This depends on my mood or on the job assignment. If everything can be understood with the connection music+mood, there should be some explanation about the character of a job assignment.

When you get an assignment where you don't have much to translate and can more or less rely on the translation memory, I can listen either to my favourite songs or just some active and powerful music. This gets me into a good working mood. But when you have to translate complex law texts, some terms and conditions or similar documents, I prefer not to listen to music at all or choose music without lyrics (that is rarely classic music)

This post was edited by Igor Martynyuk at April 25, 2016 4:22 PM EEST
    • November 25, 2013 11:43 AM EET
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Well, I usually need silence for concentration and thus prefer working without any “background”. But there are two cases when music is just more than appropriate: when it’s already too noisy around (especially when some people are talking and you can’t help listening to them) and when I’m sleepy.

In the first case music helps to get distracted from the surroundings: your ears don’t get any new information and you can fully concentrate on what you see – the text. When I’m tired music makes my stay awake (I don’t know how, but it works).

The only challenge is to make the right choice of what to listen to. In my case it should be either just music without lyrics (classical music is really good for this) or some unknown new songs. Otherwise I can start singing along that will distract me even more.

This post was edited by Igor Martynyuk at April 25, 2016 4:22 PM EEST
    • April 25, 2016 1:20 AM EEST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Close ears open eyes and open mind for me.

• September 10, 2016 11:40 AM EEST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

I find I concentrate best with silence, as music distracts me - I want to actively listen to it.  I like to give my full attention to my work.

This post was edited by Lisa McCarthy at September 10, 2016 11:43 AM EEST

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

(200 symbols max)

(256 symbols max)